Games Workshop has revealed the contents and release details of the first box set for the upcoming ninth edition of Warhammer 40,000, Indomitus.
Indomitus includes two complete Space Marine and Necron armies for the latest Warhammer 40,000 edition, along with a limited edition variant of the revised Ninth Edition core rulebook and a lore booklet titled The Edge of Silence.
There are a total of 61 miniatures in the set, all of which are push-fit - meaning they’re less fiddly to put together and can be assembled without glue.
The 24 Primaris Space Marine miniatures include:
- Primaris Captain equipped for close combat.
- Primaris Lieutenant armed with a power sword, storm shield and neo-volkite pistol.
- Primaris Chaplain.
- Judicar with the new ability to manipulate time using the wargear tempormortis.
- Squad of three Bladeguard Veterans, equipped with power swords, storm shields and heavy bolt pistols.
- The skeleton-standard bearer Bladeguard Ancient.
- Three Eradicators, specialised in tackling armoured vehicles and large monsters with long-range melta rifles.
- Squad of ten chainsword-wielding, heavy bolt pistol-shooting Assault Intercessors.
- Three Outriders, the Space Marines’ motorcycle-riding units armed with chainswords, bolt rifles and heavy bolt pistols.
The Necron side, meanwhile, favours numbers, with a total of 37 models in the box:
- Making up the bulk of the army are 20 Necron Warriors, equipped with either long-range gauss flayers or short-range gauss reapers.
- An Overlord, the Necron commander armed with the new hyperphase glaive weapon and a tachyon arrow.
- Royal Warden, equipped with a relic gauss blaster.
- Plasmancer, part of the Harbingers of Destruction: the Necrons’ answer to the psychic psykers in other Warhammer 40,000 factions. Armed with a plasmic lance.
- Two Cryptothralls, companions to the Plasmancer and other Cryptek units.
- The multi-armed Skorpekh Lord, which made an appearance in the Warhammer 40,000: Ninth Edition reveal trailer. It’s armed with pleasant-sounding weaponry such as an enmitic annihilator, hyperphase harvester and flensing claw.
- Three Skorpekh Destroyers, close-combat units armed with dual-blade hyperphase threshers or the two-handed hyperphase reap-blade.
- Plasmacyte, which assists the Skorpekh Destroyers by infusing them with energy and increasing their threat.
- The War of the Worlds-esque Canoptek Reanimator, a legged machine that lends support on the battlefield and can attack with its atomiser beam.
- Six Canoptek Scarab Swarms, mob units designed to overwhelm enemies. (A bit like a robotic version of the scarab beetles from The Mummy, if you will.)
As well as the 61 models, the Indomitus set will include the Warhammer 40,000: Ninth Edition core rulebook with limited-edition cover artwork only available in the set, Games Workshop said. The Edge of Silence booklet includes rules and reference sheets specific to the Primaris Space Marine and Necron units in the box, along with lore information based on the clashes between the two factions. There will also be an assembly guide for the miniatures and a sheet of transfers.
The Indomitus box set will not include dice or distance/range measures, making it less a complete starter set for total newcomers learning how to play Warhammer 40,000 than a way of stepping up to the new edition for existing players.
Games Workshop confirmed that the Indomitus set will release next month - July - and would only be available in limited numbers and for a limited time as a “special launch box” for the release of the new Warhammer 40,000 edition. No price was given, with the publisher simply saying it would “save you more than 50% over getting the contents separately”.